B Med Sci, MBBS (Hons), M Med Sci (Surg), FRACS (ORL-HNS)
Ear Nose and Throat Surgeon
Dr Brett Levin is a specialist Ear Nose and Throat Surgeon with interests in paediatric ENT as well as nose and sinus disorders.
Dr Levin completed his surgical training in Sydney, Australia and obtained his ENT Fellowship with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. He undertook additional training in paediatric ENT within the Sydney Children's Hospital Network. He was subsequently the recipient of the Garnett Passe Memorial Foundation Award and completed a prestigious Fellowship overseas in advanced nose, sinus and skull base surgery.
Dr Levin consults and operates at several practices and hospitals in Sydney. Although sub-specialised, he enjoys a general ENT practice, seeing patients with a variety of ENT conditions across the specialty. His practices include both the public and private sectors.
Dr Levin is actively involved in teaching registrars and medical students through his public hospital appointment. He continues to maintain a keen research interest with several publications and presentations at national meetings (full list below).
Dr Levin aims to be professional and informative, whilst always maintaining a good bedside manner, so patients are comfortable discussing their ENT concerns.
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery).
- Master of Medical Sciences (Surgery) – University of Western Australia.
- Bachelor or Medicine and Surgery (Honours) – University of Sydney.
- Bachelor of Medical Sciences – Macquarie University.
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
- Australia and New Zealand Rhinologic Society.
- Australian Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery.
- Australian Medical Association.
- Australasian Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery.
Dr Levin is a Consultant ENT Surgeon at:
- St Luke’s Private Hospital – Potts Point.
- East Sydney Private Hospital – Woolloomooloo.
- St George Private Hospital – Kogarah.
- Bankstown Lidcombe Public Hospital – Bankstown.
- Levin B, Goh S, Yuk Hui, N, Sethi, DS. Endoscopic removal of a foreign body in the orbital apex abutting the optic nerve. Singapore Medical Journal, 2019; 60(5): 265-266.
- Buchanan M, Levin B, Veness M. Non-melanoma skin cancer - primary non-surgical therapies and prevention strategies. In Non-melanoma skin cancer of the head and neck. Riffat F, Palme C, Veness M [Editors], 2015; 37-51.
- Wang A, Wang J, Shen Y, Levin B. Relapse of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma involving the trachea: acute subglottic obstruction. Case Reports in Otolaryngology, 2014; 2014:1-4.
- Wang A, Wang J, Levin B, Alam M, Palme C, Riffat F. Parapharyngeal pleomorphic adenoma as a cause of severe obstructive sleep apnoea. ANZ J Surg, 2014; 84: 883-884.
- Daniel M, Gautam S, Scrivener TA, Meller C, Levin B, Curotta J. What effect has pneumococcal vaccination had on acute mastoiditis? J Laryngol Otol 2013; 127: S13-20.
- Liao A, Levin B, Daniel M, Chan L, Cooper M, Birman C. Emergency EXIT: An Urgent Ex Utero Intrapartum Tracheostomy for Giant Fetal Neck Mass. ANZ J Surg, 2013; 83: 684-685.
- Levin B, Redmond SL, Rajkhowa R, Eikelboom RH, Atlas MD, Marano RJ. Utilising Silk Fibroin Membranes as Scaffolds for the Growth of Tympanic Membrane Keratinocytes and their Application to Myringoplasty Surgery. J Laryngol Otol 2013; 127: S30-34.
- Rajkhowa R, Levin B, Redmond S, Li L, Wang L, Kanwar J, Atlas M, Wang X. Structure and Properties of Biomedical Films Prepared from Aqueous and Acidic Silk Fibroin Solutions. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part A 2011; 97A, Issue 1: 37-45.
- Redmond SL, Levin B, Heel KA, Atlas MD, Marano RJ. Phenotypic and Genotypic Profile of Human Tympanic Membrane Derived Cultured Cells. Journal of Molecular Histology 2011; 142 (1): 15-25.
- Levin B, Kuthubutheen J, Fisher PH. Penetrating Facial Injury: A Fortunate Functional Outcome. Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery 2010; 142, Issue 3: S36-S38.
- Levin B, Redmond SL, Rajkhowa R, Eikelboom RH, Marano RJ, Atlas MD. Preliminary Results of the Application of a Silk Fibroin Scaffold to Otology. Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery 2010; 142, Issue 3: S33-S35.
- Levin B, Rajkhowa R, Redmond SL, Atlas MD. Grafts in
Myringoplasty: Utilising a Silk Fibroin Scaffold as a Novel Device [Review Article]. Expert Review of Medical Devices 2009; 6(6): 653-664.
- Levin B, Foo H, Lee A, Gottlieb T. Propionibacterium Avidum as the Cause of Severe Breast Infection Following Reduction Mammoplasty. ANZ J of Surgery 2008; 78: 318-319.
- Levin B, Sacks R. Post-tonsillectomy Bleeding. Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery 2007; 136: Issue 4: S56-S58.
- Levin B, Naganathan V, Ananda A, Ghabrial R. Endonasal Dacryocystorhinostomy - An Australian Perspective. Asian J of Ophthalmology 2007; 9: 64-68.
- Levin B, Naganathan V, Ananda A, Ghabrial R. Endonasal Dacryocystorhinostomy – Results of 100 Primary, Non-laser Procedures. Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 2006; 34: 52-53.
Presentations at Scientific Meetings
- 2018, Aug – “Overseas Clinical Fellowship Award.” Presentation at Frontiers in Otorhinolaryngology, Cairns.
- 2015, Mar – “Simultaneous Cochlear Implantation with Resection of a Cerebellopontine Angle Meningioma: A Case Report.” Poster Presentation at Australian Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Meeting, Sydney (2nd author).
- 2014, Mar – “Parapharyngeal pleomorphic adenoma as a cause of severe obstructive sleep apnoea.” Presentation at Australian Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Meeting, Brisbane (middle author).
- 2013, June – “Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in the Trachea: Acute Subglottic Obstruction”. Poster presentation at International Federation of Oto-Rhino-Laryngological Societies (IFOS) Seoul, Korea (middle author).
- 2013, Mar – “Survival after Complete Traumatic Cricotracheal Separation: Case Report and Review”. Presentation at Australian Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Meeting, Perth.
- 2012, Apr – “What Effect has Pneumococcal Vaccination had on Acute Mastoiditis”? Presentation by first author at European Society of Paediatric Otolaryngology, Amsterdam (middle author).
- 2010, Mar – “Traumatic Base of Tongue Injuries”. Presentation at Australian Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Meeting, Sydney.
- 2009, July – “Tissue Engineering an Artificial Tympanic Membrane”. Presentation at the Translational Medicine Symposium, Yallingup.
- 2009, June – “The Use of a Silk Fibroin Scaffold to Support the Growth of Human Tympanic Membrane Keratinocytes in vitro”. Presentation at the Australian Society for Medical Research Symposium, Perth.
- 2009, May – “The Application of a Silk Fibroin Scaffold to Otology”. Presentation at Australian Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Meeting, Gold Coast.
- 2008, July – “Animal and Human Trials of an Artificial Tympanic Membrane Scaffold”. Poster at Frontiers in Otorhinolaryngology, Noosa.
- 2007, Apr – “Paediatric Adenotonsillectomy – An Unusual Aetiology of Secondary Haemorrhage in a 4 Year Old Boy”. Presentation at Australian Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Meeting, Adelaide.
- 2007, Apr – “Endonasal Dacryocystorhinostomy – A Retrospective Case Series”. Presentation at Australian Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Meeting, Adelaide.
- 2006, Nov – "Endonasal Dacryocystorhinostomy". Presentation at Annual Scientific Congress of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists, Sydney.